Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Journey South on Woodwind, August 2003 to May 2004

Monday August 23, 2003 we left Oakville with a group of friends cheering us on and wishing us a safe trip. Our fist stop was Port Credit where we visited with friends and had family visit us. On Wednesday we carried on to Mimico Cruising Club. One more visit with friends and the following day we sailed across the lake to Wilson NY to Tuscarora Yacht club.
The next stop was Olcott Yacht Club. Waited out a storm and did some minor boat repairs. Picked up some provisions. Catherine came the following day to visit for the day and help get groceries while Mike stayed on board and played on his PS2. Later that day we checked out an antique car show.
Sunday we sailed to Point Breeze, Oak Orchard, Monday to Rochester and stayed at the Genesee Yacht club where we finally got our cruising permit for the US. We stayed an extra day and celebrated the start of the school year with pizza and beer.
After Rochester came Sodus bay and finally Oswego where we stepped the mast and began our journey into the Oswego canal, part of Erie Barge Canal system.
By Saturday Sept. 6 we had entered the Erie Canal, which would take us all the way to the Hudson River. Crossed Lake Oneida and Stayed at Sylvan Beach. The next stop, Little Falls was very picturesque and good for stocking up on groceries.
By Wednesday we were a group of six boats, three of which were Alberg 30s, travelling through the locks heading to Waterford and after that to Castleton on the Hudson where we all helped each other put our masts up.
Our next stop on the Hudson was Kingston NY where we stayed for a few days waiting for hurricane Isabel, that was coming up the coast, to pass.
Saturday we carried on and anchored in Haverstraw bay and the following day we sailed past New York City, the Statue of Liberty and stayed at Sandy Hook, Atlantic Highlands yacht Club and stocked up on groceries and fuel.
We left Sandy Hook at 2am on Wednesday and sailed on a calm flat ocean to Atlantic City where we anchored in a small inlet around 5pm. The next day was not as calm; we bounced into waves the whole day, getting soaked in the cockpit until we arrived in Cape May.
Friday, Sept. 26 we left Cape May and sailed up the Delaware to the C&D Canal to Chesapeake City. It was the entrance to the anchorage in Chesapeake City that we hit bottom for the first time. There we met up with Family and spent the day with them on Saturday. Sunday we raised anchor and continued on to Still Pond, our first anchorage on the Chesapeake.
On the Chesapeake we sailed through a J22 regatta and anchored near Annapolis, followed by anchoring in Solomon’s Back Creek where we were able to go to a West Marine and also stock up on groceries. The next anchorage was Fishing Bay and after that Norfolk Virginia, and it was there when we saw our first set of dolphins.

No comments:

Post a Comment